Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Africa Problem


Its strange to think that a little over two weeks ago, I, like most Americans, would have trouble identifying Kenya on a map of Africa. There is a lot of baggage associated with that continent. Uttering the word "Africa" conjures up images of stampeding gazelles, rampant poverty and corruption, and a place where a 13 year old kid is more likely to get an AK-47 for his birthday than an iPod. We hear about a land where people made of little more than bone, skin, and sinew endlessly teeter on the brink of death, shuffling from one refuge camp to the next, totally reliant on humanitarian aid handouts for survival.

Over here, it seems commonplace to discuss Africa as one homogeneous clusterfuck rather than a complex continent with colorful histories and cultures. I have to admit, I'm guilty of not knowing as much as I would like to about African politics, culture and history.

Hell, I'll be honest: I know next to nothing.

I took 'World' History in high school hoping I would learn a thing or two about Africa, since it was only given an obligatory cursory treatment in middle and elementary school, just so they could point and say "Hey! See, look! We covered African History! Its Chapter 15." Unfortunately, Africa got glossed over once again and the class basically turned out to be European and American History Lite, or Check Out How Much Ass White People Kick. Kind of like how the History Channel never shows anything about the Middle Ages and always has a total hard-on for Hitler. But thats a rant for another post...

I try to keep up with world events, but as I try to tease apart the confusing knot of African history and politics, all I'm left with are threads of knowledge that seem to bear no relevance to the original tangle. I'm going in this trip with an open mind. I'm going to do the whole "When in Rome" thing, which I've always done, but I'm going to try to get more out of it this time around. I realize that I might be the only American some Kenyans will ever meet, and that sometimes my work may be diplomatic as well as medical. I want people to realize that most Americans are not fat lazy retards who think anybody can understand English if, gosh darnit!, its spoken slowly, loudly, and condescendingly enough. Well, at least after today I won't have to apologize about George Bush being in office!

I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I go, so I don't make any major faux pas when I get over there and make a total ass of myself. But isn't that all I can realistically do and hope for? I realize I'm going to make mistakes there and they'll laugh about it and so will I and we'll have a nice Folger's Moment together. But if I'm going to be stumbling through a cultural minefield, I'd feel more comfortable giving it a quick sweep with a minesweeper beforehand. My "minesweeper" for this trip is Kenya - Culture Smart!: A Quick Guide to Customs and Etiquette (http://www.amazon.com/Kenya-Culture-Smart-customs-etiquette/dp/1857333497). I read the whole thing while sitting at Border's (what can I say, I'm cheap) and I'm very very glad I did.

Armed with this information, my flexible and laid-back attitude, and an open mind, I think I'll be just fine. At least now I'll be able to point out where I am on an African map.


1 comment:

  1. intriguing outlook, this should be a fun blog to read. i share and prolly exceed your ignorance about africa. I know being indian in kenya might cause more distrust than being american, so it will be interesting to see how that goes. how long you gone for?

    hope all else is well, its been a long time.

    Kunal

    ReplyDelete